Re: www-validator Security Issue (Basic Auth)

On Mon, Sep 03, 2001 at 02:08:54PM +0300, Samuel Rinnetmäki wrote:
:
> If I use the Validator to validate a document on a server (A) which
> requires authentication, Validator asks for the credentials. If I then try
> and validate another document on another server (B), my browser sends the
> same credentials to the Validator and the validator forwards them to the
> server (B).  Thus the server B receives the authorization headers that
> were required by a document on the server (A).  The authorization header
> is sent even if the document on the server (B) doesn't require
> authentication.

Thanks for the clear report; we'll try to get this fixed ASAP.

I think this would be fairly difficult for someone to exploit,
for the reason Nick pointed out (the obscurity of server A.)
However, we should certainly get it fixed anyway.

--
Gerald Oskoboiny     http://www.w3.org/People/Gerald/
tel:+1-613-261-6630             mailto:gerald@w3.org