Re: Deprecated Tags

At 3:42 AM -0700 11/24/01, SherLok Merfy wrote:
>On Thu, 25 Oct 2001, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote, quoting me:
>(...)
>  > >The <center> tag was deprecated. What for?
>  > CSS, see http://www.w3.org/Style/CSS/
>	The document promoting distinction between form and content is a
>bit extreme. It would eliminate a lot of tags. No way can you remove form
>from content. That would mean adjusting the widths of columns without
>knowing that the first one contains only an enumeration.

You're right, it did eliminate a lot of tags!  That's what HTML
Strict is.  But <center> is still pretty much unnecessary.

>	For that matter, style sheets on some word processors can contain
>text. And the liveliness of most languages is in flexibility, including
>bad form. I'd like, for example, to be able to change the background
>colour of a font. Why do I need a style sheet for that?

What do styl esheets on word processors have to do with anything?

Question:  Do you know how to use CSS correctly and you object to
them, or do you argue against CSS simply because you don't know it
and thus fear it?  It's hard to tell what sort of argument one is
making without knowing where someone is coming from.

Your question "why do I need a style sheet to change the background
colour of a font?" makes little or no sense from the perspective of
someone who knows what CSS is.  You "need" to make a change in the
presentation.  CSS is a way to mark that change in the presentation,
and it's a rather useful and easy way to do it.  It's ultimately
harder to do that in HTML, and serves to confuse the presentation
and content issue by mixing them together in the markup, which can
present difficulties for people with disabilities as well as other
user groups.

Is this off-topic for the validator list yet?

--Kynn

--
Kynn Bartlett <kynn@idyllmtn.com>
http://www.kynn.com/