Re: Validation: The Holy Grail

From: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 00:13:38 +0000 (GMT)
To: "Ushakov, Sergey N" <ushakov@int.com.ru>
cc: <www-validator@w3.org>

On Wed, 21 Nov 2001, Ushakov, Sergey N wrote:

> Nick, now it's better :)   Now I also can see the ???? ???? :)   Though my
> system is cyrillic-enabled...

What do you see when you use the established validators (like Page Valet
or validator.w3.org) to validate your page?

> I see the the validation result page comes in UTF-8 while the original page
> was in windows-1251.
> Seems something goes wrong while converting between charsets...
>
> Can you consider retaining the original charset in the validation result?

I'm not sure.  The potential trouble with that is that the validator
will produce output that is not valid as [charsetX], where charsetX
is whatever a user's page is.

Thinking aloud ..

If I filter the *output* through iconv, I have two problems.
Firstly, if iconv doesn't recognise your charset, I can't do it.
Secondly, the XSLT module I'm using to transform the output
has to be handled with care: if I start feeding it different
encodings, I don't know how far it will cope.

> Or maybe I can be of any help for handling cyrillics?

Thank you.  I may try a couple of different ideas for dealing
with it, and ask what you see for each one.  But I need to
think about this a bit first.

--
Nick Kew

Site Valet - the essential service for anyone with a website.
<URL:http://valet.webthing.com/>