Wrong behaviour of validator ?

From: Philippe Deschamp <Philippe.Deschamp@INRIA.Fr>
Date: Fri, 4 May 2001 04:12:52 -0400 (EDT)
To: www-validator@w3.org
Hello !  I am not sure that my writing to this address is appropriate,
but I got to the end of the page http://validator.w3.org/feedback.html
without finding a better place to lay my question.  So here goes...

When validating a page (namely
http://www-Rocq.INRIA.Fr/qui/Philippe.Deschamp/CMTI/glossaire.html but
it should not matter much), I checked "Show source input" and had the
surprise of seeing strange characters replacing sequences beginning
with an accented character in my iso-8859-1 source.  Repeat with
http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww-rocq.inria.fr%2Fqui%2FPhilippe.Deschamp%2FCMTI%2Fglossaire.html&doctype=Inline&ss=

The strange characters do not display the same in NN4.76 and MSIE5.50,
by the way.

Since the validator congratulates me on my excellent HTML, I am
inclined to think it is at fault :-).  Maybe in its UTF8 encoding of my
iso-8859-1 characters ?  Hopefully not in its validation of my source !

Thanks for looking into that, or forwarding my concern to the right
person.

Have a good day.

Philippe Deschamp.                  In medio stat virtus
Adresse : INRIA, Domaine de Voluceau, Rocquencourt, Yvelines, France
Adresse postale : INRIA, B.P. 105, 78153 Le Chesnay Cedex, France
Tél : +33-1-3963-5858             Mél : <Philippe.Deschamp@INRIA.Fr>
Fax : +33-1-3963-5469 http://www-rocq.inria.fr/qui/Philippe.Deschamp