Re: Batch Checking of HTML Files

From: Liam Quinn <liam@htmlhelp.com>
Date: Sat, 5 May 2001 18:50:19 -0400 (EDT)
To: Tomasz Jantczak <praca@pertus.com.pl>
cc: Jarrod Dieppa <JDIEPPA@mbakercorp.com>, <www-validator@w3.org>
On Sat, 5 May 2001, Tomasz Jantczak wrote:

> Try CSE HTML Validator (http://www.htmlvalidator.com ).

Jarrod asked for an application that "accurately checks ... to HTML 4.01
Transitional Standards".  CSE HTML "Validator" does not do this since it
does not use an SGML parser.

CSE HTML "Validator" is a lint, not a validator.  It might be useful as a
lint, but it's not a substitute for validation.  See
<http://arealvalidator.com/real-validation.html> for a more detailed
argument.

Also note that the Web page for CSE HTML "Validator" does not use valid
HTML:

http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.htmlvalidator.com%2F&doctype=Inline

IMO, this reflects poorly on the quality of the product.

Liam