Re: Non-SGML Char Refs

From: Tim Bagot <tsb-w3-validator-0004@earth.li>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 17:41:59 +0000 (UTC)
To: "'www-validator@w3.org'" <www-validator@w3.org>
At 2001-06-08T09:21-0700, Thanasis Kinias wrote:-

> The intent of my original post (which was admittedly not entirely clear) was
> to find out why the validator shows exactly the opposite of this:  it accepts
> the characters in HTML4 but complains in XHTML.  (WDG's, BTW, complains about
> them under HTML4 DTDs, too.).
>
> I don't think these can be valid code positions in XML, because an XML doc is
> also a SGML doc, so if SGML disallows them XML must also, no?

SGML per se does not disallow them; the SGML declaration for HTML does.
They are not explicitly forbidden by XML, however[1]:-

  Legal characters are tab, carriage return, line feed, and the legal
  graphic characters of Unicode and ISO/IEC 10646.

The characters in question are not graphic characters in Unicode, and
therefore not legal in XML.

Tim Bagot

[1] <http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml#dt-character>