Re: Non-SGML Char Refs

From: Thanasis Kinias <tkinias@optimalco.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 17:26:14 -0700
To: Tim Bagot <tsb-w3-validator-0004@earth.li>, "'www-validator@w3.org'" <www-validator@w3.org>
On Friday 08 June 2001 10:41, Tim Bagot wrote:

> SGML per se does not disallow them; the SGML declaration for HTML does.

Of course, you're right.  Sorry about the misstatement there.  I got my wires
crossed because of the validator's "Error: reference to non-SGML character"
-- it's not really a non-SGML character, it's a non-XML character.  The error
message ought to be changed in this case, if SGML (other than HTML) might
allow them.

> They are not explicitly forbidden by XML, however[1]:-
>
>   Legal characters are tab, carriage return, line feed, and the legal
>   graphic characters of Unicode and ISO/IEC 10646.
>
> The characters in question are not graphic characters in Unicode, and
> therefore not legal in XML.

OK, and we've established that they're not legal in HTML4 either.  So why
doesn't the validator complain when they're used in HTML4?

--
Thanasis Kinias
Vice President & Manager of Information Systems