Re: Non-SGML Char Refs

From: Thanasis Kinias <tkinias@optimalco.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2001 17:26:14 -0700
To: Tim Bagot <tsb-w3-validator-0004@earth.li>, "'www-validator@w3.org'" <www-validator@w3.org>
On Friday 08 June 2001 10:41, Tim Bagot wrote:

> SGML per se does not disallow them; the SGML declaration for HTML does.

Of course, you're right.  Sorry about the misstatement there.  I got my wires
crossed because of the validator's "Error: reference to non-SGML character"
-- it's not really a non-SGML character, it's a non-XML character.  The error
message ought to be changed in this case, if SGML (other than HTML) might
allow them.

> They are not explicitly forbidden by XML, however[1]:-
>   Legal characters are tab, carriage return, line feed, and the legal
>   graphic characters of Unicode and ISO/IEC 10646.
> The characters in question are not graphic characters in Unicode, and
> therefore not legal in XML.

OK, and we've established that they're not legal in HTML4 either.  So why
doesn't the validator complain when they're used in HTML4?

Thanasis Kinias
Vice President & Manager of Information Systems
Optimal LLC
Scottsdale, Arizona, USA