Re: Unix --> NT (source code stuff)

From: Brian Gilkison <gilkison@one.net>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 16:35:46 -0500
To: www-validator@w3.org
On Wed, 28 Feb 2001, Nick Kew wrote:
>Isn't there something at <URL:http://www.arealvalidator.com/> ?
>I've recently recompiled Code Valet for Windoze.  This is basically
>a web-enabled version of SP, to do validation and (many) other things
>without the need for an intervening CGI wrapper.  It uses Liam's
>mods to SP as its starting point.  I can report that it compiles cleanly
>under cygwin ( <URL:http://cygwin.sourceforge.net/> ), and would infer
>that lq-sp will almost certainly do likewise .

Well, no offense to Liam (I probably use the WDG validator as much as the
W3C when I'm not at home), but 'A Real Validator' has two flaws for my

1) It costs $$
2) My ISP allows, among other things, use of SSI and PHP; dropping files
   onto A Real Validator can't tell me if they're valid, if they've not
   yet been processed by the server.

Since I already have an Apache server with Perl 5.6, and PHP 4.01, at home
for staging my ISP files, I'm happy with any Perl or PHP solutions (anyone
like to take a crack at a PHP validator? ;) )

My request for a binary was not for the entire validator, but rather for a
WIN32 binary of lq-nsgmls to replace James Clark's nsgmls.exe for Windows,
since that appears to be the route the W3C Validator will be taking.  I've
not coded one line of C or C++ in my life, and I don't have a compiler
readily available either -- hence the request.

Since Cygwin was mentioned, can you recommend a minimum configuration
(tools, compiler, etc.) I'd need to get a binary out of Liam's code?