Validator should not be interpreting <SCRIPT> tag contents at all

From: Bryce Nesbitt <bryce@obviously.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Feb 2001 10:41:34 -0500 (EST)
To: www-validator@w3.org
I've read the FAQ.  I understand the problem.  But still, why
does this validator interpret the contents of a <SCRIPT></SCRIPT> container?

The interpreter can't know what type of script is inside
the tag, and can't correctly interpret it. The validatior is not aware of the syntax rules that apply inside <SCRIPT>.  Yet, the validator tries, resulting in all sorts of spurious errors.

I suggest that the validator would be much more useful if it ignored everything inside <SCRIPT></SCRIPT>.  Cluttering the JavaScript code with \, as in:
	document.write("<\/P>");
To hide it from the validator is not a realistic solution.

		-Bryce