Re: Finding The New Acceptable Ways

From: Lloyd Wood <l.wood@eim.surrey.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 12:19:44 +0000 (GMT)
To: Nick Kew <nick@webthing.com>
cc: Dave Carscadden <davecarscadden@hotmail.com>, www-validator <www-validator@w3.org>
On Wed, 12 Dec 2001, Nick Kew wrote:

> On Thu, 6 Dec 2001, Dave Carscadden wrote:
>
> > On all the links pointing away from my site, I was putting a target="_new"
> > tag into my code, forcing a new browser window to open, so that I wouldn't
> > lose my customers.  After 2 hours searching, I cannot find the new
> > acceptable way of doing this on your site.

If it's _all_ the links, do
<base target="_top"> in the <head>er instead.

(most corporate sites simply don't _have_ outbound links.)

> The acceptable way to do it would be to use a scripting event to open
> a new window:
> onclick="gotopage('http://somewhere.else/');return false"
> >somewhere else
> </a>

I wonder how such an event interacts with e.g. mozilla's new tabbed
interface?

> where gotopage() is your function to open whatever window you want,
> bearing in mind my admonition.

presumes javascript is available, whereas target only really requires
frames.

L.

would rather have an invalid tag than rely on a javascript parser.

<L.Wood@surrey.ac.uk>PGP<http://www.ee.surrey.ac.uk/Personal/L.Wood/>