Charset "iso-10646-1"

From: John Middleton <jmiddlet@sedl.org>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2001 15:46:15 -0400 (EDT)
To: www-validator@w3.org
In attempting to build Spanish web pages I encountered a problem
during printing from (Netscape 4.x on Macintosh OS).  I found that
Netscape (Mac) would render the characters on screen, though would
not print correctly when using charset=iso-8859-1.
I searched the web for other Spanish sites specifying a meta
http-equiv character set, unsuccessfully.

I found charset=iso-10646-1  on W3C website
This seemed to fix the previous printing problem that correctly
displays and prints, however when validating at W3C I get the
following error:
Server: Apache/1.3.6 (Unix) (HURLinux) mod_perl/1.21
        Character encoding: iso-10646-1

A fatal error occurred when attempting to transliterate the document
charset. Either we do not support this character encoding yet, or you
have specified a non-existent
character encoding (typically a misspelling such as "iso8859-1" for

The detected charset was "iso-10646-1".

The error was "".
I am writing asking those with more experienced if this character set
declaration is correct?
I am wanting the Spanish language allowing the display of special
characters (eg. &iacute; and &ntilde; ) during printing.
IE doesn't seem to have this problem.

I assume I can validate such pages with "charset=iso-8859-1" then
change it to "charset=iso-8859-1" to assure conformance to W3C HTML.

If you care to see a sample HTML page:

Your time is respected and appreciated, thanks in advance.

Best Regards,
  John M.

e-mail: jmiddlet@sedl.org

PS. I am not subscribed to this list a response or
guidance/reassurance directly (via e-mail) is appreciated.