Re: Charset "iso-10646-1"

At 15:46 01/08/24 -0400, John Middleton wrote:
>Greetings,
>In attempting to build Spanish web pages I encountered a problem during
>printing from (Netscape 4.x on Macintosh OS).  I found that Netscape (Mac)
>would render the characters on screen, though would not print correctly
>when using charset=iso-8859-1.
>I searched the web for other Spanish sites specifying a meta http-equiv
>character set, unsuccessfully.
>
>I found charset=iso-10646-1  on W3C website
>(http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/intro/intro.html#h-2.3.1).

I'm a bit confused. The place you cite does reference [ISO10646], but it
does not contain any syntax examples. The actual syntax is given in
Section 5, http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/charset.html, but this does
not contain the label iso-10646-1 at all.

Also, the IANA registry at http://www.iana.org/assignments/character-sets
does not contain iso-10646-1.

I wonder where you came up with iso-10646-1.

>This seemed to fix the previous printing problem that correctly displays
>and prints, however when validating at W3C I get the following error:
>----
>Server: Apache/1.3.6 (Unix) (HURLinux) mod_perl/1.21
>        Character encoding: iso-10646-1
>
>A fatal error occurred when attempting to transliterate the document
>charset. Either we do not support this character encoding yet, or you have
>specified a non-existent
>character encoding (typically a misspelling such as "iso8859-1" for
>"iso-8859-1").
>
>The detected charset was "iso-10646-1".
>The error was "".

The last line is suboptimal, and should be fixed to actually say something.

>----
>QUESTION 1:
>I am writing asking those with more experienced if this character set
>declaration is correct?
>I am wanting the Spanish language allowing the display of special
>characters (eg. í and ñ

If written that way, then these are independent of character encoding.
If actual byte values are used, my guess is that you are using iso-8859-1,
and if you do that, you should say so.

The printing problem is most probably a local problem. Printing
unfortunately is notoriously buggy on many browsers.

Regards,   Martin.