Re: when using validator is not sensible

From: William O'Higgins <william.ohiggins@utoronto.ca>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 06:53:55 -0400
To: Yuri Generalov <yuri@cactus-books.com>
CC: www-validator@w3.org, huftis@bigfoot.com
Yuri Generalov> But... still another example. Netscape 6 and the latest Mozilla appear to be sensitve to
Yuri Generalov> XHTML DTD line. If they see that line, they show thick black horizontal lines on my
Yuri Generalov> pages on cactus-books.com. I have to use PHP to determine if the user agent is
Yuri Generalov> Netscape 6, and to comment out the DTD in this case. Then the horizontal black lines
Yuri Generalov> appear correctly, 1 pixel height.

N6 employs DOCTYPE switching, which will respond to one set of
DOCTYPEs with a strict and correct interpretation of the code (which
is likely why your page is breaking) and another set of DOCTYPEs with
"Quirks" mode, which is forgiving to kludge code built for pre-N6
Navigator.  If you like, send me the code off-list and I'll show you
what's breaking in N6.

--
yours,

William