Re: when using validator is not sensible

From: Yuri Generalov <yuri@cactus-books.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2001 12:05:26 +0400
To: Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net>
CC: www-validator@w3.org
17.08.2001 1:17:47, Bjoern Hoehrmann <derhoermi@gmx.net> wrote:

>>No, this is not a mistake. In my experience, using validator to check
>>for code validity and picking out all of invalid code meant loosing interoperability
>>and finally, when validator said "Congratulations..." my webpages showed up
>>differently in different browsers.
>
>Where's the problem? If there is a problem, I doubt you've written
>"good" HTML, even though it might be valid, but feel free to point
>at examples.

There's an example with page margins. To set them to zero, we can use this:

<BODY TOPMARGIN=0 LEFTMARGIN=0 MARGINHEIGHT=0 MARGINWIDTH=0>

Although this ensures that the margin is set to zero, this construction is invalid in XHTML.
To make my pages validate, I was forced to switch to CSS this way:

body {margin: 0}

This resulted in the following: the majority of browsers which handle CSS properly,
display no margin. But for example Opera still displays a margin of, I think, 10 pixels:
http://cactus-books.com/

This may seem not a big deal, because the web page still functions well. But there is
something more than function. From the designer's point of view, this is a flaw.
I could make my page appear without margins in all browsers, but I had to sacrifice
it in favour of valid XHTML. This is just one of the examples.

Yuri Generalov,
http://cactus-books.com/