Re: several fixes

From: Terje Bless <link@tss.no>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 05:32:19 +0200
To: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Cc: W3C Validator <www-validator@w3.org>
On 18.04.01 at 22:02, Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org> wrote:

>Terje Bless wrote:
>>
>>Ok, as of right now I'm officially declaring the list archives to suck
>
>I might have had a small influence in choosing altavista; for a while, I
>was happy with the way altavista.digital.com worked. But I didn't set up
>our local installation, and I've never been particularly happy with it. I
>don't think anybody is.
>
>I think it's better than nothing, but I'm not sure; sometimes it sets
>expectations that it doesn't meet... you end up wasting time thinking it's
>gonna work.
>
>I wish we had something better, but unfortunately, wishing doesn't make it
>so. It evidently takes a lot of work to set up a fulltext search service
>capable of working for our web site.
>
>For public stuff, it's often best to use google.com with +host:w3.org or
>whatever.

Did anyone have a look at <URL:http://www.google.com/services/>? The public
stuff can be set up in pretty much no time. As I'm not a Member I'm not
too concerned about the pain and suffering they go through in the Private
archives -- :-) -- but could you please put at the very least the Free
variant of Google to work on <URL:http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/> and
-- since I'm a compassionate guy :-) -- maybe investigate using it for your
internal lists too?

BTW, someone might find this "Google W3C Lists" Bookmarklet usefull
<URL:javascript:void(Qr=prompt('Keywords...',''));if(Qr)void(location.href='http://google.com/search?query=site:lists.w3.org+'+escape(Qr)+'&num=10')>.
It just prompts for keywords, adds "site:lists.w3.org" to the query string,
and sends it off too Google (i.e. pretty much just the standard Google
bookmarklet).