Re: several fixes

Terje Bless wrote:

> On 18.04.01 at 01:13, Brian Gilkison <gilkison@one.net> wrote:
>
> >I thought I'd posted the package URL in in one of my postings back in
> >March, but I can't seem to find which one at the moment.
>
> <rant froth-level="extreme">
>     Ok, as of right now I'm officially declaring the list archives to
>     suck badly, horribly, and terribly. AltaVista was always dain
>     bramaged, but it's now crossed over into a whole new dimension
>     of suckage.
>
>     Could whoever is in charge of that bogosity (Dan?)

I might have had a small influence in choosing altavista;
for a while, I was happy with the way altavista.digital.com
worked. But I didn't set up our local installation,
and I've never been particularly happy with it.
I don't think anybody is.

I think it's better than nothing, but I'm not sure;
sometimes it sets expectations that it doesn't
meet... you end up wasting time thinking it's
gonna work.

I wish we had something better, but unfortunately,
wishing doesn't make it so. It evidently takes
a lot of work to set up a fulltext search
service capable of working for our web site.

For public stuff, it's often best to
use google.com with +host:w3.org or whatever.