Re: Images on validation results page (MSIE 5.0)

On Mon, 16 Apr 2001, Terje Bless wrote:
> Yes, and it may be local to your installation too. Some conflict between
> QuickTime and MSIE possibly; or just a plain MSIE bug.

If it helps to narrow it down, I believe it the problem is specific to
either 5.0 or 5.01 -- I ran 5.5 on Win98 SE, and now WinME, and have not
had a problem with the images loading.

> The "missing" filename extension is an artifact of the Content Negotiation;
> it should not be a problem at this level of the transaction (it can cause
> other "problems" (can confuse the user) on Windows, but conforming User
> Agents should deal transparently with this).

Far be it from me to add fuel to the fire on this one, but is it 100%
certain that the server is sending the correct MIME types?  The reason I
say this is from the following scenario...

1) Where possible on my personal site, I have attempted to use content
negotiation just as the validator does; hence, if a page is valid, I will
have a badge which points to
"http://w3.one.net/~gilkison/img/valid-html401" (no .gif or .png
extension, as my ISP supports content negotiation)

2) If I validate my a page at my site
(http://w3.one.net/~gilkison/genealogy/ for example) then the validation
results page shows two different badge images.  If I right-click on the
image in MSIE (the one before the "Congratulations" text), and select
"Properties" from the popup menu, then I see an 'Address (URL)' of
"http://www.w3.org/Icons/valid-html401" and a 'Type' of "File".

3) If, from the results page, I go directly to the validated page, and
right-click on the Valid HTML at the bottom of my page, then the exact
same image displays an 'Address (URL)' of
"http://w3.one.net/~gilkison/img/valid-html401" and a 'Type' of "GIF
Image".

Point #3 tells me that MSIE is seeing what it considers a valid content
type from my ISP, but not from the Validator (#2); regardless of the site,
MSIE 5.5 displays the correct image for me (and as I type this, I'm
running MSIE on Win95 at my office, so I don't think it has anything to do
with the OS version).

From a diagnostic standpoint, my version of MSIE appears to present
"image/gif, image/x-xbitmap, image/jpeg, image/pjpeg, */*" in the
HTTP_ACCEPT header...

Is there any chance the server compress the content in any way?  I found a
reference in MS Knowledgebase to problems with compressed content --
"Internet Explorer 5.5 Does Not Allow Compressed Content Over HTTP Version
1.0" (http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q274/8/03.ASP)...

Just throwing out my $.02 in hopes of solving this...

Brian