feature suggestion: fragment context selection

From: Todd Fahrner <fahrner@pobox.com>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2000 14:25:14 -0700
To: www-validator@w3.org
Individual authors often write complete HTML documents, but
organizations tend to write fragments of HTML documents, which
eventually get concatenated into complete documents. It is currently
cumbersome to validate document fragments; it involves making up a
minimal template representing the ancestry of the fragment.

I suggest adding a "parent element" selector for fragments, or
perhaps logic that would contextualize the root node of the fragment
submitted for validation. I think this would work as long as the
fragments were at least reasonably  well-formed. For instance, if you
wanted to validate, say, just a table that would ultimately be nested
within another, you might select TD/TH from a select/option element,
submit your fragment, and the validator would synthesize a complete
document for validation, with your fragment as the child of a TD/TH
element in an otherwise valid document. Alternatively, the validator
might guess that because the root of your fragment is LI, its parent
must be OL/UL, and synthesize an appropriate template.
--
Todd Fahrner