Re: feature suggestion: fragment context selection

On 27.10.00 at 14:25, Todd Fahrner <fahrner@pobox.com> wrote:

>I suggest adding a "parent element" selector for fragments, or perhaps
>logic that would contextualize the root node of the fragment submitted for
>validation. I think this would work as long as the fragments were at least
>reasonably  well-formed. For instance, if you wanted to validate, say,
>just a table that would ultimately be nested within another, you might
>select TD/TH from a select/option element, submit your fragment, and the
>validator would synthesize a complete document for validation, with your
>fragment as the child of a TD/TH element in an otherwise valid document.

While I think that's an excellent idea, it's consequences for the
implementation are too far reaching. Implementing it would require a "right
thorough buggering"[0] of the existing code base, and development resources
that just aren't available at the present time (patches, however, are
always very welcomed!). Even given that I could figure out some sane way of
implementing it, it'd take far too much time that could be better spent on
other, less esoteric, features.

I'll keep it in mind though. A minimal (i.e. "stupid") implementation that
wraps your fragment in a suitable BODY element -- possibly with different
DOCTYPEs selectable -- should be possible; at least after some other
cleanups have landed.

[0] - My current favourite phrase. I'm reading _way_ too many
      British authors these days. :-)

--
As a cat owner, I know this for a fact...
Nothing says "I love you" like a decapitated gopher on your front porch.