Re: sugggestion: HTML 4.01 as default

From: Terje Bless <link@tss.no>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 04:06:24 +0200
To: W3C Validator <www-validator@w3.org>
On 06.10.00 at 20:17, Terje Bless <link@tss.no> wrote:

>On 06.10.00 at 13:36, pdf@bizfon.com wrote:
>
>>The reason I ask is because if the stuff you were working on is partially
>>working except for commenting out the DOCTYPE already in the document,
>>then perhaps it could be partially implemented and you can let the users
>>select DTD's to use in addition to the one in the document.  Then, once
>>you get it to correctly ignore the one in the document, you could add
>>that option.  Just an idea.
>
>Hmm, and a good one too. I can make sure the DOCTYPE is inserted first and
>then supress the redefinition warnings from SP.

Scratch that. :-(

When you call redefinetheworld() on SP it goes absolutely bonkers. I have
to parse out the original DOCTYPE and hide it inside a comment before I can
redefine it. This requires ripping the Validator's guts out with extreme
prejudice and replacing them. I'm not entirely certain I can make a
replacement that Gerald would even touch with a ten foot pole. :-(

OTOH ripping it's guts out are in the cards at some point anyway. Maybe
this is as good a time as any to start the -- long, slow, tedious, and
painfull -- process. :-)

--
As a cat owner, I know this for a fact...
Nothing says "I love you" like a decapitated gopher on your front porch.