Re: tar: directory checksum error

From: Terje Bless <link@tss.no>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 00:14:36 +0200
To: W3C Validator <www-validator@w3.org>
On 09.10.00 at 18:56, rday@harlequin.co.uk wrote:

>The latest tar download gives "tar: directory checksum error" 'Bout
>half way thru. I've checked disk space and stuff and that seems OK.

Works for me. Maybe you need to use a different browser to do the download.
BTW, I expect the tarball is generated with GNU tar; perhaps your vendor
tar doesn't grok it? Oh, and it's gzipped too; some versions of Netscape
will strip the .gz suffix without decompressing the file. Use GNU tar with
the 'z' option or rename it 'validator.tar.gz' and use 'gzip -d' or
'gunzip' on it first.

--
As a cat owner, I know this for a fact...
Nothing says "I love you" like a decapitated gopher on your front porch.