Re: Validator option suggestion

From: Terje Bless <link@tss.no>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 22:14:52 +0100
To: W3C Validator <www-validator@w3.org>
On 02.11.00 at 13:48, Gerald Oskoboiny <gerald@w3.org> wrote:

>One problem with this though is that there may be some 401s that are a
>result of the draft being (temporarily) in member space, and others that
>are actually links to other member-internal resources that need to be

Y'all seem awfully hung up on the fact that you use the link checker to
check links in W3C material... Try focusing on making it work right in a
generic (non-W3C specific) fashion and __fix_your_working_methods__! :-)

>How about an option that says "ignore 401s for resources that have the
>same URI prefix as that being checked" or something?

And this would help, how? Are we talking about links from a TR to an
included file like, say, a DTD here? This is impossible to distinguish from
a bad link to a protected area because the link checker's ESPs[0] aren't
yet fully enough advanced to know which files you'll be moving to a Public
area and which will get left behind[1].

A 401 is a 401, try checking your documents in a Public "staging" area
before publication instead of trying to hodge-podge around fundamental
aspects of HTTP. Simply make it a part of the routine to check out a copy
(y'all _do_ have these things under VC, right?) in "Staging" and run the
checker on that. This could probably even be automated...

I think the main problem was false positives though. Patrick said he was
getting a gazillion 401 warnings in Member space. This sounds like internal
links to Appendices, DTDs, and the like. Having to pick up a few leftover
401s o Member areas afterwards has got to be better then a few hundred
false 401s to components of the same comound document.

[0] - "Extra Sensory Powers" for the non-BeeGees fans. :-)

[1] - I'll give you "relative links", but not "same URI prefix".
      Ok, I'm a pedant, so sue me. :-)

"I don't want to learn to manage my anger; I want to FRANCHISE it!"

                          -- Kevin Martin <brasscannon@bigfoot.com>