Re: W3C validators and url encoding

From: Terje Bless <link@tss.no>
Date: Thu, 2 Nov 2000 22:27:03 +0100
To: W3C Validator <www-validator@w3.org>
cc: Joel Yliluoma <bisqwit@iki.fi>
On 02.11.00 at 12:20, Joel Yliluoma <bisqwit@iki.fi> wrote:

>W3C validators do not encode urls correctly in the links they make:
>
>If I try to validate an url containing &, for example
>by specifying:
>
>  http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=http://somehost/?a=1%26b=1
>
>I get the result correctly, but the links the page gives, are like:
>
>  http://validator.w3.org/something?uri=http://somehost/?a=1&b=1
>
>which gives b=1 to the validator instead of keeping it as a part
>of the url to be checked. I hope I made my point clear...

Oy!

You made your point just fine, but I'm having trouble wrapping my head
around the multiple levels of encoding going on here. I /think/ I see where
we're going wrong, but I'll have to test some to make sure. .diff once I
get it... :-)

Thanks for reporting it.

--
"I don't want to learn to manage my anger; I want to FRANCHISE it!"

                          -- Kevin Martin <brasscannon@bigfoot.com>