Re: About minimized form in non empty elements

On Thursday, June 22, 2000 at 18:51, kabrianis@hellug.gr (Michalis Kabrianis) wrote:

> Due to my english (not really good) I'll get straight to the point:
>
> XHTML 1.0 : Transitional DTD

> According to validator.w3.org this IS valid.

The W3C validator does not currently validate XHTML. All it does is check
well-formedness. The above is well-formed but not valid.

> I thought that this should be interpreted as (in HTML):

> which i think is invalid.

As html it would be interpreted as

because the / in <tr /> would be treated as an unrecognised attribute
value (hence it would be ignored) and the <tr> would be implicitly closed
by the </table>.

> Is something wrong in validator,

Yes, it doesn't validate XHTML.

> in netscape and mozilla,

Yes and yes, neither of them should be treating a file with an XHTML
doctype as HTML.

> or am I missing something (if that's the case, feel free to ignore me :-)

Only the last umpteen threads on the W3C validator not validating XHTML ;-)

--
Christian Smith  |  csmith@barebones.com  |  http://web.barebones.com
PGP Fingerprint  -  60E5 2216 97D2 1D1A B923 F036 00A9 CEC0 D411 FA89