About minimized form in non empty elements

From: Michalis Kabrianis <kabrianis@hellug.gr>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 18:51:48 -0400 (EDT)
To: www-validator@w3.org
Hi everybody.

Due to my english (not really good) I'll get straight to the point:

XHTML 1.0 : Transitional DTD

According to validator.w3.org this IS valid.
I thought that this should be interpreted as (in HTML):

which i think is invalid.

instead it is interpreted (in netscape and mozilla) and produces the same
output as (in HTML):

Is something wrong in validator, in netscape and mozilla, or am I missing
something (if that's the case, feel free to ignore me :-)

Regards,

Michalis Kabrianis
kabrianis@hellug.gr
http://homepages.pathfinder.gr/mkab