RE: Ampersands + "Last modified:" Malfunctions

From: Bruce Bailey <bbailey@clark.net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2000 09:37:18 -0400 (EDT)
To: "Alan C. Baird" <ia@apc.net>, <www-validator@w3.org>
Others have corrected you about the use of &amp; -- CGI authors out there to
don't have to stop programming in the commonly-accepted fashion, but page
authors DO need to start linking to them correctly!  Did you try the
proposed remedy before complaining that the validator was broken?

You also reported  that:

> Also, when providing a direct link to the validation results:
>  http://validator.w3.org/check/referer ,
> the validator generates a "Last modified:" field which has nothing
> to do with the page being validated.  In other words, the validator
> indicates that any given page is being modified continuously!

The generated last modified value is correct on my pages.  Perhaps this is
an idiosyncrasy of your server?

Bruce Bailey
http://www.dors.state.md.us/