CDATA in elements and attributes

From: TimP <tim@paneris.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 14:51:20 +0100
To: www-validator@w3.org
Hi,

I have been trying to proseletise for the w3c validator amongst my collegues,
but we are all stumped by the 'asymetry' between the use of 'CDATA' as the model
content for an element (where it means entities will not be substituted) and
in attribute definitions where it means that they will.

This results in documents containing valid URLs being declared invalid documents.

Thge suggestion on the site is that we get all of trhe web changed to a new
cgi-bin standard, which ain't gonna happen :)

Presumably this feature of SGML cannot be changed either, so I am in limbo.

Would you consider amending the validator to add a checkbox:
'ignore unknown entities in hrefs'

yours
tim pizey

Member of http://www.paneris.org/