Re: Lists (OL) inside of PRE

From: Tim Bagot <tsb@earth.li>
Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 23:34:47 +0000 (UTC)
To: www-validator@w3.org
On Tue, 11 Apr 2000, Rich Fields at 407.356.5842 wrote:

> My reading of HTML4 standard indicates that use of <OL> as a
> list within a <PRE> block is acceptable.  Am I misunderstanding
> something?  I'm reading the summary at
>
> http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/struct/text.html#h-9.3.4
>
> and from this I'm assuming that only the following entities
> are excluded from PRE: IMG|OBJECT|BIG|SMALL|SUB|SUP

The only elements allowed inside a PRE are inline elements other than IMG,
OBJECT, BIG, SMALL, SUB and SUP. OL is a block element, hence not
permitted.

It is difficult to see how an OL element could be inside a PRE element,
since the indentation, numbering style, etc. cannot be known in advance.

Tim Bagot