Re: HTML 4.01 validator error

From: Keith Bowes <keith_bowes@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 02:48:27 -0400
To: <www-validator@w3.org>
I was under the impression that valid XHTML isn't always valid HTML 4.01, but rather you can fool HTML UAs into thinking the slash is a boolean attribute (that's why, for compatibility, you can use white space before the slash).  Since the HTML specs say that UAs should ignore attributes that they don't recognize, there's no harm in it.