Re: Problems with & in URIs (Which browsers work)

From: Liam Quinn (
Date: Mon, Sep 20 1999

Message-ID: <>
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 1999 23:10:37 -0400
From: Liam Quinn <>
To: JohnTNYC <>
Subject: Re: Problems with & in URIs (Which browsers work)

JohnTNYC wrote:
> Under Windows 95, I tested the following URL (a simple AltaVista
> search):
> dator
> (URL was within a web page as a link.  This may not fit on one line
> within your email program)
> On the Following Browsers:
> Netscape v2.02, v3.04, v4.61
> IE 4, IE 5
> Opera 3.60
> Amaya 2.1
> Lynx 2.8.1r1 (compiled Win32)
> WebTV Viewer v2.0b551 (approximates WebTV rendering)
> The link worked correctly and showed up in the status bar with only & in
> all browsers EXCEPT in Amaya.  The link breaks in Amaya and is passed to
> AltaVista as is (with the &amp; entity), which, of course,  AltaVista
> doesn't understand.  Kinda odd since Amaya is the W3C browser.  Anybody
> wanna pass this on to the Amaya folks?

It's already been mentioned a couple times:

> Hope that helps nail down a bit of how browsers will handle it.  Anybody
> with some other platform tests?

In my tests on Linux, the following browsers pass: Netscape 4.61, Lynx
2.8.1rel.2, NCSA X Mosaic 2.7b5, Mozilla Milestone 9.  The following
browsers fail: Amaya 2.1, Gzilla 0.2.2 and 0.3.7, Express 0.0.7.

Gzilla and Express aren't usable browsers.  I've fixed the bug in my
copy of Gzilla 0.3.7 and submitted a patch, but I haven't heard back.

I previously [1] did tests on Windows where the following browsers were
successful: Netscape 1.0N, Netscape 1.22, Netscape 2.02, Netscape 3.04,
Netscape 4.04, MSIE 4.0, Opera 3.0b9b, HotJava 1.1, NCSA Mosaic 3.0,
Lynx 2.7, UdiWWW 1.2, AOLpress 1.2.3.  The only failure in my tests at
that time was Amaya 1.1c Beta.


Liam Quinn
A Real Validator for Windows,
Web Design Group,