Re: TARGET attribute

From: Curtis (Jewell) Whalen <curtis_whalen@geocities.com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 22:09:00 -0600
To: <www-validator@w3.org>

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin J. Duerst <duerst@w3.org>
To: David Meadows <david@heroes.force9.co.uk>
Cc: W3C Validator <www-validator@w3.org>
Date: Wednesday, 27 January, 1999 20:03
Subject: Re: TARGET attribute

>http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/sgml/loosedtd.html#FrameTarget
>

>At 00:24 99/01/28 -0000, David Meadows wrote:
>> Kevin Berkheiser <KBerk@Bigfoot.com> wrote:
>> >My problem has been with framed pages.  If I try to put the target
>> attribute
>> >in a strict document, the validator complains.  I actually had to use
>> >JavaScript to open a new window just so I could validate strict.  Seems
>> like
>> >a waste when the target command is so much easier.   Target is perfectly
>> >valid in frameset and even transitional documents.  What is the solution
>> for
>> >strict HTML 4?
>>

>> I have the same problem. The Strict specification *does* include "Target"
>
>Sorry, where does it do that? I just did a find for "Target" on
>http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/sgml/dtd.html, no success.

I think he's looking at the description, and not at the DTD.

See http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/present/frames.html, where it does not say
anything about deprecating TARGET="" that I can see.

However, for the other POV, look at
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/index/attributes.html, where TARGET="" is
specified to be in the Loose DTD only.

A question to ask, to be certain.