TARGET attribute

From: David Meadows <david@heroes.force9.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 00:24:38 -0000
To: "W3C Validator" <www-validator@w3.org>
Kevin Berkheiser <KBerk@Bigfoot.com> wrote:
>My problem has been with framed pages.  If I try to put the target
>in a strict document, the validator complains.  I actually had to use
>JavaScript to open a new window just so I could validate strict.  Seems
>a waste when the target command is so much easier.   Target is perfectly
>valid in frameset and even transitional documents.  What is the solution
>strict HTML 4?

I have the same problem. The Strict specification *does* include "Target"
yet it won't validate except under the Frameset DTD (and Transitional? I
haven't checked that). Worse: Amaya doesn't seem to recognise it as a valid
attribute, which I find particularly awkward.

So, either we're both reading the Strict DTD incorrectly... or the rest of
the world is!

Anyone who can shed light on this has my gratitude.

David Meadows [ Technical Writer | Information Developer ]
DNRC Minister for Littorasy * david@heroes.force9.co.uk
"He who does not imagine in stronger and better lineaments, and in
 stronger and better light than his perishing mortal eye can see
 does not imagine at all."     -- William Blake