TARGET attribute

From: David Meadows <david@heroes.force9.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 00:24:38 -0000
To: "W3C Validator" <www-validator@w3.org>
Kevin Berkheiser <KBerk@Bigfoot.com> wrote:
>My problem has been with framed pages.  If I try to put the target
attribute
>in a strict document, the validator complains.  I actually had to use
>JavaScript to open a new window just so I could validate strict.  Seems
like
>a waste when the target command is so much easier.   Target is perfectly
>valid in frameset and even transitional documents.  What is the solution
for
>strict HTML 4?

I have the same problem. The Strict specification *does* include "Target"
yet it won't validate except under the Frameset DTD (and Transitional? I
haven't checked that). Worse: Amaya doesn't seem to recognise it as a valid
attribute, which I find particularly awkward.

So, either we're both reading the Strict DTD incorrectly... or the rest of
the world is!

Anyone who can shed light on this has my gratitude.

--
David Meadows [ Technical Writer | Information Developer ]
DNRC Minister for Littorasy * david@heroes.force9.co.uk