Re: TARGET attribute

From: Martin J. Duerst <duerst@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 28 Jan 1999 10:51:21 +0900
To: "David Meadows" <david@heroes.force9.co.uk>
Cc: "W3C Validator" <www-validator@w3.org>
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/sgml/loosedtd.html#FrameTarget

At 00:24 99/01/28 -0000, David Meadows wrote:
> Kevin Berkheiser <KBerk@Bigfoot.com> wrote:
> >My problem has been with framed pages.  If I try to put the target
> attribute
> >in a strict document, the validator complains.  I actually had to use
> >JavaScript to open a new window just so I could validate strict.  Seems
> like
> >a waste when the target command is so much easier.   Target is perfectly
> >valid in frameset and even transitional documents.  What is the solution
> for
> >strict HTML 4?
>

> I have the same problem. The Strict specification *does* include "Target"

Sorry, where does it do that? I just did a find for "Target" on
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/sgml/dtd.html, no success.

> yet it won't validate except under the Frameset DTD (and Transitional? I
> haven't checked that).

Yes, http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/sgml/loosedtd.html includes
Target.

Regards,   Martin.

#-#-#  Martin J. Du"rst, World Wide Web Consortium
#-#-#  mailto:duerst@w3.org   http://www.w3.org