Re: The 'speech' media type

From: Jordan Clark <clarky_y2k@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Nov 2011 17:51:04 +0000
To: <www-validator-css@w3.org>

Thanks for that, Dan. However, what I really wanted to know is which media type – 'aural' or 'speech' – to use in the interim, until the CSS3 Speech Module (hopefully!) gets more widespread support among UAs and reaches Recommendation status.

I just find the wording of the current standard a bit confusing, as it is basically ruling out *both* media types (for the present time at least):

“This means that a style sheet such as ['speech' example code] is valid, but that its meaning is not defined by CSS 2.1, while ['aural' example code] is deprecated, but defined by this appendix.”
-- CSS 2.1 Specification
   http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/aural.html#aural-media-group