Re: Real problem caused by CSS validators willingness to tacitly accept HTML

From: Yves Lafon <ylafon@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 13:22:10 -0400 (EDT)
To: "Philip Taylor (Webmaster)" <P.Taylor@Rhul.Ac.Uk>
Cc: "Jukka K. Korpela" <jkorpela@cs.tut.fi>, www-validator-css@w3.org

On Wed, 31 Oct 2007, Philip Taylor (Webmaster) wrote:

> That is because we changed the IIS configuration; I have now
> restored the /status ante bellum/ so that the problem can
> easily be demonstrated and replicated.  If you are willing,
> please repeat your test for this non-existent page :
>
> 	http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/validator?uri=http://www.rhul.ac.uk/resources/Stylesheets/CSS/TP-Common.css

http://www.rhul.ac.uk/resources/Stylesheets/CSS/TP-Common.css
gives a nice "Sorry, page does not exist" but...

wget -O /dev/null -S http://www.rhul.ac.uk/resources/Stylesheets/CSS/TP-Common.css
[..]
HTTP request sent, awaiting response...
   HTTP/1.1 200 OK
   Connection: keep-alive
   Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 17:18:27 GMT
   Server: Microsoft-IIS/6.0
   Set-Cookie: ASPSESSIONIDSQRTTSBT=NBBNFMDAPDJGHFNBFHGEHPIO; path=/
   Cache-control: private
Length: 12,120 (12K) [text/html]

So, no 404 here, and some HTML, it si normal for the validator to parse
this.
Is this an issue when you specify a non-default 404 page in IIS?
Cheers,

         ~~Yves