Re: BOM

Hi Jan, Andreas, all

On Jun 27, 2007, at 02:38 , Jan Eliasen wrote:
> When you say that I should define the charset for my css files, you
> are
> tallking about doing it in the html, right? Like this:
> <link href="eliasen.eu.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"
> charset="utf-8"
> />

I think Andreas was suggesting setting it up on the server-side, so
that the server declares your CSS as Content-Type: text/
css;charset=utf-8

> Why not use a BOM with utf-8? It is perfectly legal, as I
> understand it, and
> it even helps the programs that must read the data to know it is utf-8
> encoded.

There's always controversy when it comes to using, or not, the BOM.
Last long thread I recall on the topic is
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-validator/2006Dec/
thread.html#msg13
http://esw.w3.org/topic/QA/Utf8BomInteropReport

That said, I *think* that most of the issues between the CSS
validator and documents with BOM were fixed in the past, did you
experience any big trouble with one, and if so, is it online and can
we use it as a test case?

thanks
--
olivier