Re: BOM

From: Andreas Prilop <AndreasPrilop2007@trashmail.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 15:50:24 +0200 (MEST)
To: www-validator-css@w3.org
cc: Jan Eliasen <jan@eliasen.dk>

On Tue, 26 Jun 2007, Jan Eliasen wrote:

> When you say that I should define the charset for my css files,
> you are tallking about doing it in the html, right?

Wrong! I gave you an example:
  http://www.unics.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/temp/dir-ltr.css
It has

See also
  http://www.unics.uni-hannover.de/nhtcapri/bom.css

> Why not use a BOM with utf-8?

A BOM is pointless with UTF-8 because there is *no* byte order
in UTF-8.

> it even helps the programs that must read the data to know
> it is utf-8 encoded.

No. Specify the encoding (charset) properly.

> And I agree ASCII should be just fine - and in my case, it is.

Almost all CSS files contain only ASCII characters. So why use
UTF-8 at all?

> Only problem is that it is automatically saved by VS.NET
                             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> as utf-8 with a BOM

If you cannot change/adjust this, then we have another example
of unusable software from Microsoft ...

... like your mailing program.

Please quote properly! For example, have a look at
 http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/usenet/dont.html
This was written for Usenet, but applies to mailing lists
as well.

--
Top-posters will be prosecuted.