Re: Validating XTML with with slyle sheet without "type" attribute

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007, spotted wrote:

> I have a question. I have an XHTML page with link to CSS file. Since I don't
> have a type="text/css" attribute (this type is transmitted is a header from
> web server), the validator reports that "No style sheet found".

That's strange indeed. It seems to happen for XHTML only, not for HTML
4.01 documents. It's probably some oversight in coding the CSS Validator.

> As per to W3C
> recomendations, it is possible. The question is if it is possible to check
> content type of <link rel="stylesheet" href="..." type="text/css"> without
> declared type? Please, see the example at http://r75a7.org/index.htm

I find it a bit strange that you don't simply add the type="text/css"
attribute. It would solve the practical problem for you. The idea of
having the style sheet written in another language in the future, so that
you would only change the style sheet and not the referring <link>
element, sounds great in theory but it will hardly be realistic for many
years.