Re: Test-shadow bug in Jigsaw

倪阔乐 / Niklas Dougherty wrote:
> Actually, text-shadow is part of CSS 2, so it should also be part of CSS
> 2.1. That it is not is pure madness.

To quote from the spec: 'But most of all CSS 2.1 represents a "snapshot"
of CSS usage: it consists of all CSS features that are implemented
interoperably at the date of publication of the Recommendation.'

text-shadow is not in CSS 2.1 due to lack of support from browsers.

It is also an issue to raise with the CSS working group rather then with
 people working on QA.

> The problem is that I have a referer based mechanism on my web pages,

A what? Anything that depends on the presence of an optional, not
uncommonly forged, HTTP header is madness.

> and suddenly everything changed. Now I have to add an ampersand, which
> is a problem in XHTML

By problem you mean "It must be represented by an entity"? This is true
in HTML as well.

You can use a semi-colon instead of an ampersand to delimit form data
key-value pairs. The CSS validator appears to have implemented the
suggestion from HTML 4.01:
http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/appendix/notes.html#h-B.2.2

> (for instance, a Safari bug prevents using quoted
> ampersands in URIs).

What is a "quoted ampersand" in this context? What is the consequence of
this bug? Do you have a (valid) test case?

> Do whatever you want, but by changing defaults like this you are just
> creating problems for people.

I'm not a fan of the change at all, nor of the default URI given.

(To the list audience: What do people think about changing the 'Here
have a pretty badge' code sample so that it hard codes the URI of the
source if it is validation-by-http?)

> Besides, you are not given any options whatsoever when using
> http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/check/referer

I'll admit it isn't shouted about, but
http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/check/referer?profile=css2;warning=2
does work.