RE: CSS Validation warning: You have no background-color with your color;

From: Peter Normann <peter@normann.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2006 06:41:56 +0100
To: "'CSS validator list'" <www-validator-css@w3.org>

I would agree that the wording needs to be considered. While most learned
developers, members of this mailing list and your truly are aware that the
warning can safely be disregarded, I will think twice before advertising CSS
conformance to the rest of the world, clients or prospective clients.

I care about code quality and I care about conformance to any relevant
standard (or in this case recommandation) where as most people do not.

I would like to signal that I actually make an effort doing what I do, but I
am unsure how the net effect will be at the other end if the validation
report is plastered with warnings.

"Jeez, there's a bunch of warnings. Doesn't this guy ever check his work?
Maybe we'll call somebody else next time."

Also, if warnings are too generously generated you risk having warnings be
disregarded in general over time at the expense of the few interesting ones.

When I validate my CSS I am not particularly interested in a design review.
I am interested in learning whether a somewhat compliant browser would have
any idea what I am trying to accomplish.