RE: CSS Validation warning: You have no background-color with your color;

On Thu, 23 Feb 2006, Peter Normann wrote:

> I would agree that the wording needs to be considered.

My concern was that it was not factually accurate. There are apparently
other concerns, too.

> "Jeez, there's a bunch of warnings. Doesn't this guy ever check his work?
> Maybe we'll call somebody else next time."

In almost all cases, the warning about potential problems when not
specifying color and background together indicates lack of sufficient
care. Almost all authors who complain about the warning _have_ actually
failed to understand the problem, even after reading the explanation.

The continued complaints about the warnings indicate that they actually
reveal design mistakes.

> When I validate my CSS I am not particularly interested in a design review.

You have the option of turning warnings off. As I have said before, it
would also be appropriate to allow warnings to be switched off by type, so
that you could get just the types of warnings you like.

Naturally, other people would still have the option of checking your style
sheet with any tool they like, including the W3C checker with all
warnings enabled.