CSS validation, contingent upon HTML validation?

From: Trevor Pierce <pierce.trevor@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 7 Apr 2006 10:08:24 -0500
To: www-validator-css@w3.org
To the W3C CSS Validation Staff:

Hello, my name is Trevor Pierce. I am currently working on a small personal
website (wedding.continuumdesign.net,) and am also a wholesale believer in
web standards. I am designing the site with validated HTML
4.01Transitional, but the CSS refuses to validate. I receive the same
message
each time:

To work as intended, your CSS style sheet needs a correct document parse
tree. This means you should use valid HTML.

This is extemely frustrating, as the HTML IS valid. I am aware of two errors
in the CSS that need to be fixed, as well as a variety of warnings. I'll
take care of these, but my question is, once these errors are taken care of,
will the CSS validate? It is important to me as a web designer (and perhaps
moreso as a self-proclaimed standards perfectionist) that my pages be valid,
credible information.

I cannot find a straight answer as to why the validator provides such a
response, when the HTML has already been validated.

I thank you for your time and consideration of my inquiry.

Regards,

Trevor Pierce