Re: OT : Proposed DTV channel changing packet

From: Craig A. Finseth (
Date: Tue, Aug 14 2001

    Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 17:40:25 -0500 (CDT)
    From: "Craig A. Finseth" <>
    Subject: Re: OT : Proposed DTV channel changing packet
       > I am about to submit an Internet-Draft for a DTV channel changing packet
       > and protocol to the IETF, and thought you might have an interest in this
       > matter.  The IETF is closed for submissions until the 14th while they have
       > their meeting, but I would be glad to have your comments or suggestions
       > before submitting the first draft.
       > You can get a copy of the draft at:
    Some quick comments on this proposal:
    - There are 16 bits of bandwidth in units of 1000 bps.  The total that
    can be expressed is thus around 64 Mbps.  Given Gigabit Ethernet, it
    seems silly to propose a new protocol that can't support existing
    Suggestion: make each 32 bits (in units of 1000 bps).  This gives
    speeds up to at least 4 terabits.
    - Channel should be specified as tv:<name> URIs (so don't worry about
      having a fixed, 100-byte packet size).  The interface between URIs
      and channel numbers is handled by the guide client.
    - You should be able to specify the client's time zone (e.g., for
      sorting out east and west coast feeds).
    - In the US. you will need to be able to specify the client's location
      (either in the request or by reference to a database) to determine
      which local channels should be delivered.  (This requirement is
      mandated by legislation.)
    - There should be a protocol switch byte and one address.
    - There should be a way of adding optional data (e.g., descriptors)
      for future needs.