RFC: Internet-TV Convergence at Communications Research Forum, 26 Sep

From: Tom Worthington (tom.worthington@tomw.net.au)
Date: Wed, Sep 19 2001

    Date: Wed, 19 Sep 2001 16:10:20 +1000
    To: www-tv@w3.org
    From: Tom Worthington <tom.worthington@tomw.net.au>
    Subject: RFC: Internet-TV Convergence at Communications Research Forum,   26 Sep

    This is to request comments on my draft presentation:

    TITLE: Internet-TV Convergence with the Multimedia Home Platform
    For:   Communications Research Forum, Canberra, 26 September 2001

    ABSTRACT: Australian free-to-air broadcasters have recently adopted the
    European Multimedia Home Platform (HMP) as the Australian standard for
    interactive TV. MHP is based on Internet and web standards and so offers
    compatibility and convergence between TV and the Internet. But the MHP is a
    complex standard of more than 1440 pages. An overview of the main points of
    the standard, its compatibility with the Internet and opportunities for
    convergence of content are discussed.

    BOTTOM LINE: MHP is currently a bit too WAP-like to be a success.  ;-)

    ps: This is a quick 15 minute talk, not a full refereed academic paper. If
    of interest I hope to go into more detail on MHP at the Australian National
    University next semester (last semester looked at WAP and I-mode).

    Tom Worthington FACS tom.worthington@tomw.net.au Ph: 0419 496150
    Director, Tomw Communications Pty Ltd ABN: 17 088 714 309
    http://www.tomw.net.au PO Box 13, Belconnen ACT 2617
    Visiting Fellow, Computer Science, Australian National University
    Publications Director & Past President, Australian Computer Society
    Internet-TV Convergence 26 Sep: http://www.tomw.net.au/2001/itv.html