RE: Where are we?

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand (
Date: Mon, Oct 11 1999

Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 08:38:34 +0200
To: "Michael A. Dolan" <>,
From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <>
Subject: RE: Where are we?

At 17:20 09.10.99 -0700, Michael A. Dolan wrote:

> >2) As a TV watcher, when I've identified a channel, the next level
> >identification is commonly a timeslot, as is done by the ShowView
> >bizarre-digit scheme here in Norway, for instance.
> >I would regard content as being an orthogonal identifier, but
> >seems intrinsically channel-bound.
>Can you forward the syntax of the scheme you refer to?

1*9DIGIT, unfortunately.

The ShowView system uses a proprietary algorithm to compress date, time and
channel number into something that's compact enough to be printed in
program listings, and that can be punched with reasonable reliability on a
videorecorder's remote control.

They earn royalties from both the VCR recorder people and the people who
use their stuff in program listings, and have NOT made the algorithm public.

Harald Tveit Alvestrand, Maxware, Norway