Re: Where are we?

From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand (
Date: Sun, Oct 10 1999

Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 13:13:38 +0200
To: "Jack Lang" <>, "Dan Zigmond" <>, "'Scott J. Anderson'" <>, <>
From: Harald Tveit Alvestrand <>
Subject: Re: Where are we?

At 11:57 10.10.99 +0100, Jack Lang wrote:
>Unfortunately the slot has been delayed by ten minutes, as the earlier news
>program was extended.

and in that case, the currently popular ShowView scheme breaks too.
IMNSHO, the Right Thing to do, architecturally, is to establish two
orthogonal name spaces:

- TV transmission stream and time slot
- Information content, such as "series episode" or "today's news"

Then it's possible to build an association service that is able to transmit
things like:

   content:// will be
   transmitted on tv-channel://

I think that's where we should end up; but since there's no consensus (that
I can hear) in this group that we should go straight there, we should just
make sure we don't block the possibility of ending up there.

Harald Tveit Alvestrand, Maxware, Norway