The whole tv: issue

From: Craig A. Finseth (
Date: Tue, Aug 31 1999

Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 22:04:41 -0500 (CDT)
From: "Craig A. Finseth" <>
Subject: The whole tv: issue

For anyone who is joining this thread late, here's a summary:

Several people have put forth a draft RFC (draft-zigmond-tv-url-02)
which talks about standardizing existing practice in three areas:

This draft is in the form of an INFORMATIONAL RFC.  As far as I can
tell, there are no real technical issues with this document although
there are some procedural issues.

Some people have questioned the use of the "tv:<name>" form.  To the
extent that the draft is reflecting existing implementations, the
point is moot.  (Unless we get volunteers to retrofit existing
systems...I thought not.)

However, there was a substantial amount of discussion in this area
last winter which ended up with a draft (draft-finseth-btv-00.txt)
that is on the STANDARDS track.[*] This draft addresses the real
issues regarding the tv:<name> form.

The current status of this draft can be found at:

This web page includes copies of or pointers to the draft, the
requirements document, and all other relevant supporting information.

[*] Not all of this discussion happened on the www-tv list, but enough
did that a review of the list archive should be sufficient for most

We now return you to your scheduled confusion. (:-)