Re: The whole tv: issue

At 22:04 31.08.99 -0500, Craig A. Finseth wrote:
>For anyone who is joining this thread late, here's a summary:
>
>Several people have put forth a draft RFC (draft-zigmond-tv-url-02)
>which talks about standardizing existing practice in three areas:
>
>         tv:
>         tv:<number>
>         tv:<name>
>
>This draft is in the form of an INFORMATIONAL RFC.  As far as I can
>tell, there are no real technical issues with this document although
>there are some procedural issues.

if you call "usage of this scheme will lead to problems in practice" a
procedural issue, I'm not sure what you'd call a technical issue.

>Some people have questioned the use of the "tv:<name>" form.  To the
>extent that the draft is reflecting existing implementations, the
>point is moot.  (Unless we get volunteers to retrofit existing
>systems...I thought not.)
>
>However, there was a substantial amount of discussion in this area
>last winter which ended up with a draft (draft-finseth-btv-00.txt)
>that is on the STANDARDS track.[*] This draft addresses the real
>issues regarding the tv:<name> form.

formally: Has been submitted to the IESG for consideration as an IETF
Proposed Standard.

>The current status of this draft can be found at:
>
>         http://www.finseth.com/~fin/uri
>
>This web page includes copies of or pointers to the draft, the
>requirements document, and all other relevant supporting information.

Thanks!

                          Harald A

--
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, Maxware, Norway
Harald.Alvestrand@maxware.no