Re: Lingua Franca of the Web - Will SVG replace HTML?

From: John Hardy <jh@lagado.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2001 09:24:08 +1100
To: <www-talk@w3.org>, <www-html@w3.org>
: Isn't this very argument a proof of the interest of SVG that is, unlike
: the graphic formats we knew before, a graphic format that keeps text
: stored as text and thus a good compromise between these two statements ?

Well then why don't we all just use postscript instead? Or PDF?

Why not? Because a page rendered as into graphics format is already too low
level (it has lost too much semantic information) to be a useful interchange
format.