Re: Lingua Franca of the Web - Will SVG replace HTML?

From: Sean B. Palmer <sean@mysterylights.com>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2001 22:19:34 -0000
To: "Eric van der Vlist" <vdv@dyomedea.com>, "Charles F. Munat" <chas@munat.com>
Cc: <AndrewWatt2001@aol.com>, <www-talk@w3.org>, <www-html@w3.org>
> Isn't this very argument a proof of the interest of SVG that is, unlike
> the graphic formats we knew before, a graphic format that keeps text
> stored as text and thus a good compromise between these two statements ?

I'm saying that document structuring and hypertext is more improtant on the
most fundamental level than graphics. Yes, SVG does integrate them
neatly... but I don't think "integration" denotes "replacement", and it
would be very odd to suggest that it does.
By all means, use SVG in XHTML: Amaya does this now, but as for replacing
XHTML with SVG... I don't see how that would even be possible. Telling
people to use SVG in that way would be beyond the scope of SVG as a format,
and I certainly do not think this is a line the W3C would want to take up
with their data formats. It doesn't make architectural sense. The future
lies in Semantics, not pretty pictures :-)

--
Kindest Regards,
Sean B. Palmer